[Development] Allowed C++11 features [was: Re: Re: MSVC2012 in CI]

Sean Harmer sean.harmer at kdab.com
Mon Mar 21 10:46:40 CET 2016

On Sunday 20 March 2016 18:28:37 Thiago Macieira wrote:
> On domingo, 20 de março de 2016 12:07:01 GMT Sean Harmer wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Can MSVC 2012 configurations be removed from the CI please? My
> > understanding is that this compiler was only kept around to support
> > Windows EC but that this is now removed from 5.7. In particular this
> > compiler is a blocker to using a using declaration such as:
> >
> > template<typename T>
> > using QNodeCreatedChangePtr = QSharedPointer<QNodeCreatedChange<T>>;
>
> We haven't yet done a re-evaluation of which C++11 features are allowed in
> our code without #ifndef. For the moment, template aliases are not
> permitted.
>
> Or, put another way, can someone do that evaluation and post to the list?

Dropping MSVC2012 as per

http://lists.qt-project.org/pipermail/development/2016-March/025129.html

would remove the block from being able to use template aliases according to

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh567368.aspx

I don't have ready access to all the other compilers and versions we support
but I think this would allow potential use of:

* template aliases
* raw string literals
* delegating ctors

Marc, you likely know compiler limitations much better than I do, do you have
any inputs on this please?

Cheers,

Sean
--