[Development] Compiling QT 5.7 Windows 64-bit

Massimo Callegari massimocallegari at yahoo.it
Tue Mar 29 15:32:33 CEST 2016

Hi everyone

it is not my intention to hijack this thread, but it comes at the right time when I'm contributing to the MSYS project.

In the last few days, I've been working to improve the qt5-git package:
https://github.com/Alexpux/MINGW-packages/tree/master/mingw-w64-qt5-git

The goal is to offer a trivial way to clone and build a Qt5 GIT branch (right now 5.7) for developers to test and follow the developments of specific Qt modules.

In theory once the work is complete, it should work out of the box also for 64bit builds.

The beauty is that with MSYS2, with just a single command (makepkg-mingw -sLf) you can build a monster project like Qt without any development skill, or without following messy wiki pages like those I found related to MinGW or MSYS. (like this
https://wiki.qt.io/MinGW-64-bit or this https://wiki.qt.io/Building_Qt_Desktop_for_Windows_with_MinGW)

Unfortunately (and here comes the hijack) I stumbled on some OpenGL problem. Apparently I also found the solution, but I would like to understand from the experts why it is happening.

Here's the details (see pastebin): https://github.com/Alexpux/MINGW-packages/pull/1254

Basically, the qopengles2ext.h include goes into QtGui forward includes via syncqt.pl, even if I'm telling configure to build with "-opengl desktop"

Manually commenting that include in QtGui fwd file allows the build to proceed. QtOpenGl.dll is then created correctly and so on.

Any insight about this would be helpful, and it would allow me to commit a working solution even within tonight.

I would also like to point out (but it's my humble opinion) that MSYS2 should be taken more into account by Qt developers to offer a non Microsoft way to work with Qt on Windows. Especially for Linux fans like me :)

Even if I don't know the whole story, I am aware that some patches proposed by the MSYS devs went upstream, but still, to build Qt5 on MSYS2 requires something like 40 patches right now, and it's a mess to maintain them across newer Qt versions.

Not mentioning the fact that QtWebEngine still doesn't build there and it's really a pity.

Thanks,
Massimo