[Development] Changing definition of Qt meta macro to allow tools integration

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Wed Mar 30 17:58:48 CEST 2016

On quarta-feira, 30 de março de 2016 16:08:52 PDT Olivier Goffart wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As I am working on porting qdoc using clang, this is yet another time a tool
> is using clang to get information about Qt code and Qt meta macro (signals,
> slots, properties, ...)
>
> This has been done before: qtcreator's clang code model [1], moc-ng [2],
> kdevelop, ... In each case, we need to resort to hacks to redefine the
> macros at the right place when there should be redefined.
>
> Hence while doing it for qdoc, I suggest doing it in a generic way so that
> we can simplify the hacks using additional macro.
>
> Here is the patch:  https://codereview.qt-project.org/151667

That's a good idea. I like it and I've approved it. But please wait for
reactions to your email (especially branching) before staging.

> I am also wondering in which branch to push this. Should it go in Qt 5.6 LTS
> so newer Qt creator can benefit of it starting from Qt 5.6.1?

You've proposed it for dev, but I think it deserves at least 5.7. I don't have
a problem in it landing in 5.6, but I don't see much benefit there since qdoc
for 5.6 is already released and Qt Creator will need to deal with 5.6.0 as-is
and previous versions anyway.