[Development] Header review for 5.7 (vs 5.6)

Edward Welbourne edward.welbourne at qt.io
Tue May 3 18:24:32 CEST 2016

Hi all,

As we approach the release of 5.7.0, we naturally need to review the
changes to APIs for all the usual things.  This time, however, we
decided [0] it would be nice to actually make use of Gerrit's ability to
display changes nicely, rather than [1] displaying a diff as if it were
an enormous file to be added to a module.  While we were at it, we
decided [2] to filter out, as well as the copyright header changes our
old script discarded, various rather boring changes, such as just adding
a Q_ALWAYS_INLINE, Q_DECL_NOTHROW or Q_CONSTEXPR to a declaration.

[0] https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTQAINFRA-973
[1] https://codereview.qt-project.org/#/c/153346/
[2] https://codereview.qt-project.org/155745

Consequently, to take the example of qtbase, instead of looking at more
than 100 k lines with no colouring mark-up to help you see what's really
changed, reviewers only need to look at a little under 8 k lines, split
up nicely by which file they're in and actually making good use of
Gerrit's ability to display diffs nicely.  Just be sure you don't do
anything silly like telling Gerrit to merge these commits :-)

The scripts to do this are still a bit fresh (I was fixing bugs in them
on Friday and still testing yesterday) and anyone nervous of whether
they might be mistaking meaninful changes for boring is welcome to take
a look [3] (and let me know so I can fix that).  If you actually want to
run this at home, you'll need python's dulwich package installed, for
the git magic it does.

[3] https://codereview.qt-project.org/157299

Yesterday's header diffs are all listed in [4], but I'll list them here,
too, for the convenience of those whose mailers understand links:

 * https://codereview.qt-project.org/157805 – qtbase
 * https://codereview.qt-project.org/157789 – qtdeclarative
 * https://codereview.qt-project.org/157790 – qtactiveqt
 * https://codereview.qt-project.org/157791 – qtmultimedia
 * https://codereview.qt-project.org/157792 – qttools
 * https://codereview.qt-project.org/157793 – qtlocation
 * https://codereview.qt-project.org/157795 – qtconnectivity
 * https://codereview.qt-project.org/157796 – qtwayland
 * https://codereview.qt-project.org/157797 – qt3d
 * https://codereview.qt-project.org/157798 – qtquickcontrols
 * https://codereview.qt-project.org/157799 – qtserialport
 * https://codereview.qt-project.org/157800 – qtx11extras
 * https://codereview.qt-project.org/157801 – qtandroidextras
 * https://codereview.qt-project.org/157802 – qtwebsockets
 * https://codereview.qt-project.org/157803 – qtwebengine
 * https://codereview.qt-project.org/157804 – qtcanvas3d

[4] https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTQAINFRA-973#comment-318470

Please take a look at the modules you care about and point out anything
that's going to cause problems for the usual compatibility constraints,

	Eddy.