[Development] [OS X] next Qt 5.6.0 question : Freetype (building with -fontconfig)?

Adam Light aclight at gmail.com
Tue May 3 18:42:53 CEST 2016

On Mon, Mar 21, 2016 at 4:30 PM, Allan Sandfeld Jensen <kde at carewolf.com>
wrote:

> On Monday 21 March 2016, René J. V. Bertin wrote:
>
> > For further comparison, here's a screenshot showing
>

> > CoreText vs Cocoa+Freetype vs XCB+Freetype+Fontconfig
>

> > all on OS X, using a theme & style based on QtCurve.
>

> > The XCB+Freetype rendering is hands-down the easiest on the eyes for me,
>
> > though that's of course all in the eye of the beholder. It'd be nice if
>
> > the same quality could be attained with the Cocoa QPA.
>

> > I'd be interested in testing different ways to get the text colour right
>
> > (backported to 5.6 though ;)).
>

> I would suggest trying to change QCocoaIntegration::styleHint
>
> and return 1.0 for QPlatformIntegration::FontSmoothingGamma instead of
> 2.0.

I've found that using the freetype font engine dramatically improves
performance in parts of our application that do a lot of text rendering. Is
there any way to set this style hint without actually modifying the
QCocoaIntegration source code and rebuilding Qt? We'd like to be able to
give users of our application the ability to play around with these
settings some.

Thanks
Adam