[Development] Suggestion: how to know when object is scheduled for deletion

Sean Donnelly Sean.Donnelly at autodesk.com
Thu May 5 21:09:59 CEST 2016

In our application we maintain a UI Inventory via a named object cache.  When an object is destroyed we remove it from our cache and when the name is changed we also update our cache.

However when an object is scheduled for deletion via QObject::deleteLater() the object remains in our cache until it's actually deleted.

I have two proposals:

1.       Could deleteLater() send a signal so that we can update our cache immediately and not find that UI object which is about to be deleted.

2.       Could deleteLater() set a property to know the object is in an "about to be deleted state". That way our UI Inventory could be updated to ignore these objects.

Thanks,
Sean