[Development] dev CI integration stuck for 3½ days

Simon Hausmann Simon.Hausmann at qt.io
Wed May 18 10:08:46 CEST 2016

The best theory I can come up with at this point looks like this:

Once there was a "newer" staging branch that contained changes that were still in 'STAGED' state but another change was in 'INTEGRATING' (which
was in the _previous_ staging branch), the conditions for an endless "loop" were met, I think. Upon any of the CI restarts, the CI thought it would
"resume" the integration of the one change that was in 'INTEGRATING' state and picked up from the latest staging branch, which had the other (two or three)
changes that were still in 'STAGED' state. When the build finished (pass or fail), the staging-approve command must have failed. It failed for me when I tried
to manually "reject" the changes - that's when I realized the discrepancy. However the change that was in 'INTEGRATING' state remained, because the staging
branch that we tried to approve/reject did not contain that change, so nothing changed there. As the state of the 'INTEGRATING' and 'STAGED' changes didn't
change, the CI didn't pick up any new integrations or try to create new staging branches.

How it is possible that a new staging branch was created while another change remained in 'INTEGRATING' state is a mystery to me. Perhaps something happened
in Gerrit at that moment? Perhaps there's a bug in the CI that allows for creating this "impossible" state?

Simon