[Development] [QtMultimedia] How to make to use a HW codecs by QML media player on Linux?

Denis Shienkov denis.shienkov at gmail.com
Tue May 24 16:40:27 CEST 2016

Hi all.

I have the Toradex (Apalis T30) embedded board:
https://www.toradex.com/computer-on-modules/apalis-arm-family/nvidia-tegra-3

which has:
http://developer.toradex.com/files/toradex-dev/uploads/media/Colibri/Linux/Images/Apalis_T30_LinuxImageV2.6Beta1_20160331.tar.bz2

Linux Image, with the GStreamer 0.10.

Also I have compiled Qt 5.6 and installed it to the board.

When I try to play any *.MP4 video file from the QML Video item:
http://doc.qt.io/qt-5/qml-qtmultimedia-video.html

I see, that my video has very-very lags, and I see (with htop utility) that
CPU loading is ~300% (
three cores running on ~100%).

But, when I try to play the video, using the 'nvgstplayer' utility, I see
that CPU loading is ~46% and all fine. Seems, the QML player loads the SW
codecs instead of HW codecs...

Is there are any way to say to QML player to use a HW codecs? Or, maybe, I
need to fix a sources of QtMM (where I need to change it?) Or, maybe, is
there are another way to do this?

Otherwise, is just a **HELL** and there is no sense in QML QtMultimedia at
all (But I need QML for anumations). And I do not know, how to fix it (I'm
not expert in GStreamer).

PS: I have tried the 'gst-launch' pipelines instead of 'nvgstplayer', as
described here:
http://developer.toradex.com/knowledge-base/video-playback-%28linux%29
but it crashes with sigsegv....

BR,