[Development] Supported platforms for Qt 5.8

Shawn Rutledge Shawn.Rutledge at qt.io
Mon May 30 10:51:22 CEST 2016

That’s my view too: 10.9 may be a popular holdout for years, like 10.6 was.  Now the typical response would be: well you can still deploy Qt applications to it - doesn’t mean it has to be a supported developer platform.  Or, developers can stop upgrading Qt and stick with 5.6 or so.  Is that really what we want them to do?

Now I don’t think upgrading say a Core 2 Duo machine to 10.11 is anywhere near as bad as the iOS upgrade was (that was a disaster, in my experience on an iPad 2), but wouldn’t be surprised if people have good reasons not to.  And what does it cost us?  Most of the newer features are there anyway.  Are there really so many ifdefs that we will avoid a maintenance nightmare by removing them?  Or is it about the compiler?