[Development] Supported platforms for Qt 5.8

Allan Sandfeld Jensen kde at carewolf.com
Mon May 30 21:41:38 CEST 2016

On Wednesday 25 May 2016, Jake Petroules wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Might be a bit premature, but is anyone opposed to dropping OS X 10.9 and
> iOS 7.x in Qt 5.8? This would follow dropping one OS X and iOS release per
> Qt release for the past 3 releases, but after that I think we should slow
> to dropping one release for each release we add (so, once annually or
> about once every two Qt minor releases). 10.10 and 8.0 were larger
> releases that began a new "generation" so I think that gives us a better
> baseline to start with before slowing to an annual upgrade cycle. --

Well Qt WebEngine has always had stricter requirements than the rest of Qt, so
this shouldn't necessarily affect all other Qt modules, but it might be worth
keeping in mind;

The lastest Chromium 51, which is now being integrated into dev requires MSVC
2015 on Windows, and on Mac, XCode 6.4+ which Apple only allows to run on OS X
10.10+

Note though that these requirements are not final. Qt WebEngine 5.8 will
likely end up using Chromium 53 before the we freeze the version, and the
requirements might still change (though likely only up).

Best regards
`Allan