[Development] Distributing 3rd party closed source libs

Oswald Buddenhagen oswald.buddenhagen at qt.io
Tue Nov 1 12:17:52 CET 2016

On Mon, Oct 31, 2016 at 01:06:04PM +0000, Sean Harmer wrote:
> On 31/10/2016 09:22, Lars Knoll wrote:
> > It might make sense to rethink this, and provide those plugins as
> > standalone source packages, that can be easily compiled within
> > creator by our users. That would of probably also require that they
> > live in a repository separate from qtbase (for SQL) or qt3d (in your
> > case).
>
> I like that idea. We could add those repos as source only options to
> the Qt SDK installer to make it easy for end user developers.
>
> To this end, could somebody create us a qt3d-plugins git repo and
> gerrit project please?

no way. every repository adds effort with merging and releasing, and i
see no compelling reason to do this here.

one way to deal with this is having some fragmentation logic at the
packaging level, to create multiple (heterogenous) packages from the
same repository. however, our releasing folks don't like that too much
for quite understandable reasons.

an alternative would be adding some magic to treat selected plugin
projects specially, just as we do with examples: the "binary" build
actually install only sources if -no-compile-plugins is passed to
configure. how should the project structure look like?
$$[QT_INSTALL_DATA]/plugins would actually put the sources right next to
the compiled plugins in a default install.