[Development] Dictation Issues with Qt-built software

Robert Iakobashvili coroberti at gmail.com
Fri Nov 4 09:53:13 CET 2016

On Thu, Nov 3, 2016 at 3:50 PM, Morten Sorvig <Morten.Sorvig at qt.io> wrote:
>> People cannot dictate to Qt-software at Mac as filed:
>> https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-56811
>
> Hi,
>
> I see two possible ways to solve this:
>
> 1) Add cross-platform speech-to-text capabilities to Qt’s text input classes.
> This would be implemented using native API such as NSSpeechRecognizer, or an
> open source speech recognition library bundled with Qt. The behavior we get from
> this option may not be exactly native.
>
> 2) Use NSTextField in Qt applications. This gives us the exact native behavior,
> for speech recognition and everything else, including future NSTextEdit features.
> However, NSTextEdit would integrate on the QWindow level, and not for example
> as a Qt Quick scene graph item.
>
> Neither of these are straightforward, which is one reason why the bug remains
> open.

Users are wondering why Qt-applications at Mac are not behaving like others.
They are expecting to be the same as TextEdit, Pages, Word, Safari, Firefox.

Just dictate the same way with the same microphone window coming, etc.

Since Apple's future behavior is not predictable, I'd vote for as more
native approach
as it could be done.

>> is because a similar previous dictation related issue at Windows filed in 2014
>> is still pending without being resolved:
>>
>> https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-43046
>
> This is an iOS (not Windows) bug. Also worth looking at though :)

There is a dictation issue at Windows as well.
When dictating at Window-7 using native capabilities, text to speech
to QTextEdit was normal, but
giving any dictation-api commands like changing a word, deleting, etc.
is broken.

If somebody indeed is planning to try to fix it,
I will sit on that to create a good bug report.

> In general a good way to improve and maintain the accessibility implementation
> in Qt would be to give it a second user. UI testing and automation comes to
> mind as a good candidate.

Sorry, I do not understand.
The issues are easily reproducible.

> Morten