[Development] QtQuickControls for desktop: what's the plan?

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Mon Nov 7 12:53:20 CET 2016

On Sunday 06 November 2016, Alberto Mardegan wrote:
> Hi there!
>   I'm working on a project of a desktop application using the
> QtQuickControls module. I occasionally run into small issue, but I'm
> generally satisfied with the state of the controls (I'm working on
> Linux, I hope that other platforms are working equally well).
>
> What makes me worry a bit is that I don't see much development happening
> on the module, and I wonder if that's because the module is complete and
> stable, or because we are invited to switch to the QtQuickControls 2
> module.
>
> A related question is whether there are plans to offer desktop native
> themes to the QQC2 module and, if not, whether that would be feasible at
> all.
>
> Or, in other words, where would my efforts (as a developer willing to
> contribute to Qt, but with little free time to do it) be best invested
> in, if my ultimate goal is to have a QML desktop application working
> with native style in Linux, OS X and Windows?

We have a similar problem within the KDE project,
As we have an entire desktop environment whose entire styling depends on
QStyle, continuing to use QStyle to theme desktop apps, at least on a limited
extent is vital.
As there doesn't seem to be interest in the upstream project in such a thing,
I started writing a QtQuickControls2 style that actually uses the very same
StyleItem used internally in QtQuickControls1, it can be checked out at:
https://quickgit.kde.org/?p=scratch%2Fmart%2Fdesktopqqc2style.git

to be installed and then export QT_QUICK_CONTROLS_STYLE=Desktop (probably i'll
have to rename it to avoid possible future conflicts with upstream ones)

Even if is still incomplete (and are things that unfortunately can't be fully
styled yet in a fully desktop friendly way) it seems to work remarkably well.

--
Marco Martin