[Development] QCS2016 Session Notes - QUIPs for Qt

Lars Knoll lars.knoll at qt.io
Tue Nov 8 10:11:23 CET 2016

Yes, let’s get the repo created and this whole thing off the ground.

As noted, we need a better way to document results of discussions, decisions and processes. Grepping through a mailing list archive and trying to figure out which opinion prevailed in the end is not that ;-)

Cheers,
Lars

On 08/11/16 09:41, "Development on behalf of Edward Welbourne" <development-bounces+lars.knoll=qt.io at qt-project.org on behalf of edward.welbourne at qt.io> wrote:

    Louai Al-Khanji said:
    > this is not a bureaucratization process.

    It is about having a way to document the final conclusions of
    discussions we already have.  In the process, it shall also force us to
    be explicit and leave fewer dangling ambiguities, where different
    parties have subtly different interpretations, because the final QUIP
    shall be one document, rather than a scattered mess of correspondence
    spread across several months of a mailing list archive, with references
    back to earlier discussions relating to similar topics.  Newcomers shall
    only have one place to look to get up to speed.

    (I should note, though, that this *is* a bureaucratization process; it's
    just that it's *the good kind* - yes, those do exist.  Bureaucracy may
    have spawned some heinous and easily-noticed messes; but it's actually a
    technology - an information technology, no less - that helped
    revolutionise the way the world was run (roughly a quarter millennium
    ago) and usher in the modern era.)

    I'll third the motion that we should start a repo for QUIPs,

    	Eddy.