[Development] Neat feature in gerrit: drafts

Edward Welbourne edward.welbourne at qt.io
Thu Nov 10 17:18:05 CET 2016

A review puzzled several of us today by (apparently) starting at patch
set 6.  Jesus had discovered a gerrit feature we hadn't heard of:
drafts.  If you push to refs/drafts/blah instead of refs/for/blah, you
get a review on gerrit with much of the effect we normally achieve using
WIP but without the sanity-bot's complaint about WIP and without the
buttons that would allow staging.  Folk can comment on it, they just
can't actually accept it yet.  Later you can push to refs/for/blah as
usual and the review turns into a real review.  Further pushes to
refs/drafts/blah will be added as later patch sets without spamming
those watching the review, while being visible to anyone actually
looking at it; and you can delete drafts from the history once all they
are is clutter.  There's probably more fun I've yet to learn.

This seemed worth publicizing; so now you all know :-)

	Eddy.