[Development] Basing Qt Creator Coding Style on C++ Core Guidelines?

Marco Bubke Marco.Bubke at qt.io
Wed Nov 16 18:11:02 CET 2016

Hi

This is a Qt Creator topic only so sorry to disturb every body else.

Like you maybe have learned there are C++ Core Guidelines. They are already very comprehensive. What about basing the Qt Creator Code Style on it?

I see advantages like new developer can easier grasp out rules because they are already familiar with it.

We may have to exclude some rules too because they don't fit to us.

We can enable Qt Creator partially with the ownership flag so the static analyser can do a much better job. In the long run we had to add that to Qt too but that is a different story. We would then a testbed for better support of static analyses for Qt too. Something which are our users would maybe value quite high.

https://github.com/isocpp/CppCoreGuidelines/blob/master/CppCoreGuidelines.md

[https://avatars1.githubusercontent.com/u/13841574?v=3&s=400]<https://github.com/isocpp/CppCoreGuidelines/blob/master/CppCoreGuidelines.md>

CppCoreGuidelines/CppCoreGuidelines.md at master ยท isocpp ...<https://github.com/isocpp/CppCoreGuidelines/blob/master/CppCoreGuidelines.md>
github.com
CppCoreGuidelines - The C++ Core Guidelines are a set of tried-and-true guidelines, rules, and best practices about coding in C++