[Development] QCS2016 Session Notes - QUIPs for Qt

Giuseppe D'Angelo dangelog at gmail.com
Sun Nov 20 20:38:50 CET 2016

On Thu, Nov 10, 2016 at 12:29 PM, Oswald Buddenhagen
<oswald.buddenhagen at qt.io> wrote:
> the repository has been created.

I would also like to point out that, despite we have a repository, we
still don't have a tool for properly discussing the actual content of
QUIPs.

* Gerrit does not work because comments cannot be threaded, they don't
stick to multiple reviews, and they can be ignored
* Email does not work (it may work for the overall direction, but not
for the in depth discussion) because a single message may cover
multiple discussion points, disrupting the threading, and discussion
points can get ignored (*)

Any idea to how to actually make this work? Try reviewboard maybe?

My 2 cents,
--
Giuseppe D'Angelo

(*) This still happens all the time. User A proposes something; user B
replies with "I don't think it works in scenarios X, Y, Z"; user A
counter-replies "but Z is not a scenario we consider" and the
discussion derails about Z. Noone talks about X and Y, which instead
*must* be talked about, for the proposal to be accepted. We need
something that makes it impossible to ignore the comment about X and
Y.