[Development] QCS2016 Session Notes - QUIPs for Qt

Edward Welbourne edward.welbourne at qt.io
Mon Nov 21 12:06:52 CET 2016

Giuseppe D'Angelo:
>> I would also like to point out that, despite we have a repository, we
>> still don't have a tool for properly discussing the actual content of
>> QUIPs.
>>
>> * Gerrit does not work because comments cannot be threaded, they
>>   don't stick to multiple reviews, and they can be ignored
>> * Email does not work (it may work for the overall direction, but not
>>   for the in depth discussion) because a single message may cover
>>   multiple discussion points, disrupting the threading, and
>>   discussion points can get ignored (*)

All of which plays into my desire to introduce you all to Critic [0], a
code-review tool my former colleague Jens wrote at Opera.  It knows how
to carry comments forward from one patch set to another, even through
rebases (within limits), it knows the range of lines a comment relates
to, it distinguishes issues (which must be resolved) from comments
(which can be discussed).  Discussions on a particular issue are linear
- i.e. forking off side-threads to separately discuss different parts of
a comment or follow-up would need to be implemented.  It handles whole
branches, making it possible to review a set of related changes
together; the reviewer can chose whether to review all changes to a file
together or each commit's changes separately; it helps keep track of
what you have reviewed so that you can tell when you're done.

[0] https://github.com/jensl/critic

I would dearly love to replace Gerrit with it - I realise that's hoping
for too much - but, for a new repository on which Gerrit isn't adequate,
maybe we could consider it ...

	Eddy.