[Development] QCS2016 Session Notes - QUIPs for Qt

André Pönitz apoenitz at t-online.de
Mon Nov 21 21:32:48 CET 2016

On Mon, Nov 21, 2016 at 03:29:01PM +0300, Konstantin Tokarev wrote:

> 21.11.2016, 15:26, "Giuseppe D'Angelo" <dangelog at gmail.com>:
> >>  how about taking the existing processes seriously and exercising social
> >>  pressure on those who think they are above them?
> >
> > May I just say that prefer a tool that mandates a workflow over using
> > political and social pressures, which in the long term hurt the
> > project?
>
> Well, tools cannot help with social issues, and ignoring review comments is
> more like the latter.

Well, right, and wrong, kind of ;-)

I think tools can help to *prevent* social issues. As example, I think it
easier for people to accept a -1 from the Sanity Bot than to accept
exactly the same comment from a human reviewer, specifically when it
comes to arbitrary choices like prefering American over British spelling
in comments. With the bot I usually just swallow and "fix" the issue,
no matter how insane it appears to me.

Sounds irrational? It is. It is human.

Andre'