[Development] Basing Qt Creator Coding Style on C++ Core Guidelines?

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Tue Nov 22 07:31:27 CET 2016

Marco Bubke wrote:

> On November 22, 2016 02:10:50 Thiago Macieira wrote:
>> GTK 2 and GTK 3 do keep their ABI just fine.
>
> To my understanding GTK 3 gives no guarantees at all.

That is not true. GTK+ 3 is backwards ABI-compatible with previous versions
all the way down to 3.0.

There are some private APIs whose ABI is not guaranteed, such as styling
(where custom theme engines do not work anymore at all, you have to use CSS
instead of C/C++ code now), but Qt also has such private APIs (and in fact
Qt styling is also private, though I hope Qt will never break all existing
styles the way GTK+ did!).

This will change with GTK+ 4 and their new way is going to be a nightmare,
but I will draw a "Not My Problem" card and leave the Fedora GTK+ and GNOME
packagers to deal with that. ;-)

        Kevin Kofler