[Development] [HiDPI] Rethinking the scaling algorithm

Morten Sorvig Morten.Sorvig at qt.io
Tue Nov 22 14:45:11 CET 2016

> On 16 Nov 2016, at 17:22, Niccolò Belli <darkbasic at linuxsystems.it> wrote:
>
> Hi Morten,
> I'm sorry, I missed your reply.
>
>> RoundPreferFloor   Round up for .75 and higher
>> RoundPreferFloor is the new default. Do you think this is sufficient?
>
> qFloor would help for my monitor, of course.
>
> Unfortunately the default (RoundPreferFloor) wouldn't be enough, because my monitor is 282.42 PPI and 282.42/96=2.94
> Also RoundPreferFloor would break the 4K 27" monitor previously mentioned, because 161.18/96=1.6998

In this case it might be better to adjust the logical DPI for the monitor to something that
would give you a (rounded) scale factor of 2x. So the rounding policy gives you options for
handling the rounding only, not overall DPI configuration.

(I’m assuming that fonts look OK on the monitor when configured for something like 192 DPI)

Morten