[Development] Summary ABI compabilty

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Tue Nov 22 18:06:07 CET 2016

On terça-feira, 22 de novembro de 2016 11:33:55 PST Marco Bubke wrote:
> Short Term ABI compability(1-2 years):
>

> * better bug fixing

By a very small margin. We've got 20 years of experience fixing bugs without
breaking ABI.

> * faster development

Unproven.

> * faster adoption of standards
>   - con: we don't want to adapt them because our solution is better

Unrelated. The standard libraries *do* keep their ABI, mostly. We can choose
to use libstdc++ and libc++ in our ABI and still keep our ABI, though with
some restrictions. We'd be subject to breakages in those libraries if they did
that, accidentally or no, but in those cases the problems would affect almost
all C++ programs anyway.