[Development] Summary ABI compabilty

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Tue Nov 22 21:24:03 CET 2016

On terça-feira, 22 de novembro de 2016 19:21:40 PST Giuseppe D'Angelo wrote:
> * pros:
> ** You can use Qt compiled against either libc++ or libstdc++, with
> "the other one", without recompiling Qt.

> * subjective cons:
> ** apart from Qt, noone does that, why should Qt be special in that regard?
> ** is there anyone really using this feature?

And that's why we couldn't make the decision: we don't know.

macOS seems to have settled on libc++, but now many Linux distributions are
providing it too. The question is whether long-term people will want this on
Linux or not (Android included).

Right now, since none of the distributions shipping libc++ are doing it right,
you cannot use "the other one" without recompiling Qt anyway. If this way of
building will remain, then we don't have a problem.