[Development] Qt 5.9

Alexander Blasche alexander.blasche at qt.io
Wed Nov 23 08:56:00 CET 2016

<snip>

> Good point. Considering that MSVC 2017 is coming (RC is already out), I'd also
> be prepared to have it available for 5.9, so I propose:
>
> 5.7 (for comparison, no  change):
>                 32-bit      64-bit
> MSVC 2013          Y           Y
> MSVC 2015          Y           Y
> MSVC 2017          N           N
> MinGW              Y           N
> (5 packages)
>
> 5.8:
>                 32-bit      64-bit
> MSVC 2013          Y           Y
> MSVC 2015          N           Y
I am not aware that we are dropping 2015 32bit support in 5.8. I thought the platform/compiler definition for 5.8 was set in stone a long time ago.

> MSVC 2017          N           N
> MinGW              Y           Y
> (5 packages)
>
> 5.9:
>                 32-bit      64-bit
> MSVC 2013          N           Y
> MSVC 2015          N           Y
> MSVC 2017          N           Y
> MinGW              N           Y
> (4 packages)

I don't think we can drop all 32bit support. I do believe MSVC 2017 should be part of the deal though. That's a good suggestion. Keeping these two options in mind, I suggest to drop MSVC 2013 32 bit against MSVC 2017 64bit. This keeps the number of packages the same.

> This also allows us to pick one compiler to provide 32-bit support with if we
> need to. I just think it's time to let it die and get people who need it to compile
> from source.

Compiling Qt from source (especially on Windows) is still a major headache for our customers.

> There are no current Intel 32-bit only CPUs that regular Windows runs on, only
> legacy. I don't know AMD's product line, but I'd be surprised if it is different.

The currently sold CPU's are not really the measurement stick here. The measurement stick is actually installed Win 32 systems.

--
Alex