[Development] Recommendations for 3rd-party QCH file installation folder for easy discovery?

Uwe Rathmann Uwe.Rathmann at tigertal.de
Thu Nov 24 08:38:20 CET 2016

On Tue, 22 Nov 2016 18:05:20 +0100, Friedrich W. H. Kossebau wrote:

> Q1: what would be a good system path pattern (on *nixoid systems) for
> Qt-based libraries to install their QCH files to?

Qwt ( http://qwt.sf.net ) offers a qch file and is available for quite
some time. So you could check, what is common practice among distro
packagers.

F.e. on my box ( OpenSusSE 12.2 ) it is simply not part of qwt6-devel-
doc. But the OpenSuSE package maintainer seems in general not being aware
of these Qt specific files as the installation of the feature files is
also broken.

But the rest of the docs can be found below /usr/share/doc/packages/qwt6-
devel-doc and IMO this is where I would expect to find qwt.qch as well.

Maybe other distros can give you a better hint.

> Q2: And would/could there be some way to have 3rd-party QCH files
> automatically added to Qt Assistant, Creator & Co. on installation, to
> spare the user the additional manual step?

To me one of the most error prone things is loading 3rd party plugins to
the creator. This has mostly to do with binary incompatibilities between
the libraries used for development and the one used by the Creator
( Assistant is less bad as being built together with Qt libs ) , but the
fact, that plugins are loaded "automatically" from some directories is
part of the problem.

Coming from having experienced maximal user frustration with this
approach I wouldn't recommend to establish such an automatism.

Uwe