[Development] [HEADS-UP] Updates to branching scheme

Oswald Buddenhagen oswald.buddenhagen at qt.io
Fri Nov 25 21:11:13 CET 2016

On Fri, Nov 25, 2016 at 08:41:42PM +0100, André Pönitz wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 25, 2016 at 05:09:30PM +0100, Giuseppe D'Angelo wrote:
> > 1) The whole motivation for stop doing merges from 5.6 forward is the
> > high number of conflicts between the branches.
>
> That's not true, it's also about the time it takes for a patch to
> trickle down from 5.6 to dev to enable dependent work there.

that only makes sense when you add the word "integrating" here. because
nothing is stopping you from having said changes cherry-picked locally.
this even extends to whole teams, if the involved people are capable of
using git beyond the three basic commands.

> > This makes using a LTS quite less attractive to me.
>
> Using with what hat on? People with a "end user programmer hat" want
> something stable there, no new features.

who's talking about features?
and if you don't want _any_ changes, then you obviosly don't need to
update.

> People with a "Qt developer hat" do not want to wait weeks for
> dependendecies to trickle down.

only those who appear to be constantly chased by the devil himself. i
have no problem whatsoever to do followup work while earlier changes
wait for integration.