[Development] New library in qtbase

Shawn Rutledge Shawn.Rutledge at qt.io
Tue Nov 29 13:39:34 CET 2016

> On 29 Nov 2016, at 09:07, Samuel Gaist <samuel.gaist at edeltech.ch> wrote:
>
>> On 27 Nov 2016, at 20:44, Thiago Macieira <thiago.macieira at intel.com> wrote:
>>
>> On domingo, 27 de novembro de 2016 20:22:25 PST Samuel Gaist wrote:
>>> Currently there’s macOS and iOS already working.
>>>
>>> The plan is to add
>>> - Android
>>> - Linux through DBus
>>> - Win10 (there will be some constraints if I understood their documentation
>>> correctly)
>>
>> How about the older X11 / XEmbed way?
>
> I was writing the list from memory and I forgot that one.
>
> I haven’t took a deep look yet at it but I don’t see any reason to not have it.

A system tray icon can emit notifications, but you aren’t putting the whole tray icon implementation into this library, are you?

XEmbed is a way of rendering tray icons, whereas we don’t need it for notifications themselves, right? because they are shown as separate windows.  In some cases we render them; in others, the rendering is done in another desktop-wide process.