[Development] Qt 5.9

Alexander Blasche alexander.blasche at qt.io
Wed Nov 30 08:15:31 CET 2016

The big problem is that there are still plenty of 32bit users because they truly use 32bit platforms or 3rdparty software forces them to do so. Moving to 64 bit excludes users without alternatives. 32 bit does not exclude. Yes, I know this is a chicken and egg problem but right now we have reduced the 32bit package count for 5.9 already. Let's not rush too much.

> > 64 bit ones (up to now self compiled from source) whenever possible.
Mind you, Roland himself stated the continued need for 32 bit.

> > Would it be an option to add the MinGW 64 bit installer and keep the 32 bit
> one?

There are already 11 windows binary types/packages in the current setup and that's too many. I see some opportunity when 2013 drops out in the future.

--
Alex