[Development] Qt 5.9

Alexander Blasche alexander.blasche at qt.io
Wed Nov 30 08:28:09 CET 2016

Sorry but that's not going to fly.

> Our process shouldn't be so flimsy and untrustworthy that we're testing every
> possible combination. Let the community do it, and if there's a problem, we'll
> surely know soon enough.

Software is a living and breathing thing. Its nature is such that it evolves changes each time. Not testing is not an option. We could have more confidence if history wouldn't proof us constantly wrong. Jake, even you had your fair share of breaks during release time. Stop breaking other platforms with your iOS changes and we can talk again ;)

You can use the online installer if you want only one mobile platform but not the other. Sure there is more MBs to download with offline but the releasing and testing effort is an even greater concern.

Dropping 32bit once Apple says so is a much more rewarding and likely opportunity.

> One solution could be that we start using online ones at first & bring offline ones
> later. Earlier we have released beta with offline only so should we do this
> differently with Qt 5.9:
> >
> > Qt 5.9 alpha: src only
> > Qt 5.9 beta: online only

I am against this. Online installers are much harder to handle when you have to continuously install competing Qt versions. Testing requires to install 4 different builds of Qt during for example beta time. Both types of builds have their advantage and testing/trialing is not one where the online installer shines.

--
Alex