[Development] Backporting the "stop unloading plugins" change to 5.6

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Mon Oct 17 15:27:13 CEST 2016

Em segunda-feira, 17 de outubro de 2016, às 15:50:04 PDT, Konstantin Tokarev
escreveu:
> 17.10.2016, 15:48, "Thiago Macieira" <thiago.macieira at intel.com>:
> > Em segunda-feira, 17 de outubro de 2016, às 13:32:04 PDT, Giuseppe
> > D'Angelo
> >
> > escreveu:
> >>  Il 14/10/2016 19:44, Thiago Macieira ha scritto:
> >>  >> > We are talking in this change about QFactoryLoader, which is a Qt
> >> API
> >>  >> > and
> >>  >> > which is ALWAYS used until program exit.
> >>  >
> >>  > I meant internal Qt API.
> >>
> >>  ... doesn't this sound like a declaration that we're not able to have
> >>  internal Qt APIs for Qt plugins that are good enough for having the
> >>  plugins clean up after themselves, and be able to be unloaded without
> >>  crashing?
> >
> > Correct.
> >
> > Sure, it's each plugin's fault -- especially the NM bearer plugin -- but I
> > don't have time to figure out everything that's wrong with it. I'd rather
> > apply this hammer to the problem than leave applications crashing on
> > exit.>
> >>  Anyhow, I've outlined a plan in my other email.
>
> It may make sense to add generic API for plugin to report if it can be
> safely dlclosed(), by default everything is unsafe

Please read again the email that Peppe replied to:

This is about QFactoryLoader, which is loads plugins at application starts and
NEVER attempts to close them anyway. The only time we'd try to unload is at
application exit, which is exactly when it doesn't matter because we're
exiting anyway.