[Development] Qt 5.8.0 Beta packages available for testing

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Tue Oct 25 20:43:17 CEST 2016

On terça-feira, 25 de outubro de 2016 18:12:27 PDT Massimo Callegari via
Development wrote:
> > It was never supported, therefore it can't be a bug, much less a
> > regression. Indeed we removed some functionality, but one that was
> > technically abusing
> > qmake because it wasn't supported.
>
> That is not true. See the official Qt documentation, end of page,
> "Configuration Features" paragraph:
> http://doc.qt.io/qt-5/qmake-project-files.html
>
> Honestly I don't care much if it was there by mistake or unsupported or
> whatever. It was a usable feature. Period.

By abusing qmake. Your bug report showed you used this line:

macx:QT_CONFIG -= no-pkg-config

That above is the abuse. Show us code that worked without that line and has
stopped working. That will qualify as a regression.

You can continue to abuse Qt's configuration in 5.8. It just changed what
variables you have to abuse. No compatiblity is guaranteed because it's an
abuse.

> As I stated before, pkg-config is fundamental to access libraries outside of
> Qt's scope, either on Linux, MSYS2 on Windows or Homebrew/Macports on Mac
> OS, so we need to keep on having that feature from Qt.

I'm not disputing that. That's why I reopened the issue and made it a feature
request so that we officially support it, without abuses required.

> If you want developers to stop having such access, then I would much like
> call it a regression and IMHO it should be fixed before releasing Qt 5.8.0.

It wasn't a feature before, therefore it's not a bug and not a regression.

Alternatively, we can call it a bug that has been present for a long time. It
still wouldn't be a regression.