[Development] QtWebChannel: Upstreaming of Python client

Arno Rehn a.rehn at menlosystems.com
Wed Oct 26 10:32:32 CEST 2016

On 25.10.2016 13:36, Johannes Lochmann wrote:
> Hi Arno,
>
>> On 24 October 2016 at 00:53, Arno Rehn <a.rehn at menlosystems.com>
>> wrote:
>>> Hey everybody,
>>>
>>> At my company we've developed a Python client for QtWebChannel.
>>> It consists of a more or less direct translation of
>>> qwebchannel.js and an additional layer on top of it, providing
>>> async/await syntax support for Python3.5+. Ideally, we'd like to
>>> push this upstream. Before I post a patch to gerrit, I'd like to
>>> get some feedback on whether this is wanted at all. QtWebChannel
>>> seems to be pretty much focused on HTML and the web, but the
>>> infrastructure behind it can be used for remoting from pretty
>>> much any scripting language. I'd also plan on implementing a C++
>>> client, maybe also Ruby and Matlab (since we're using this in a
>>> scientific setting).
>>>
>>> What's your take on this?
>>
>> Seems useful. Would be interested to try it out.
>
> I agree, this sounds pretty useful, especially given that we’re also
> working again on pyside since this spring.
>
> ...especially an implementation in Python and C++ both from the Qt
> Project could be a really nice combo - sign me up!
Thanks for all the feedback! Nice to know that people are interested :)
I'll polish the code a little and create a review request.

Regards,

--
Arno Rehn
Tel +49 89 189 166 0
a.rehn at menlosystems.com
www.menlosystems.com

Menlo Systems GmbH
Am Klopferspitz 19a, 82152 Martinsried, Germany
Amtsgericht München HRB 138145
Geschäftsführung: Dr. Michael Mei, Dr. Ronald Holzwarth
USt.-IdNr. DE217772017, St.-Nr. 14316170324