[Development] Distributing 3rd party closed source libs

Sean Harmer sean.harmer at kdab.com
Sun Oct 30 10:03:59 CET 2016

Hi,

a very common request is for Qt 3D to support the Autodesk FBX file
format which is a pretty standard format for exchanging 3D meshes, and
animations. Unfortunately the format is undocumented and proprietary but
Autodesk does provide a free (as in beer) SDK that can be used to parse
FBX files.

Guillermo and Mauro have been making the QMesh geometry loading
component plugin based to help support more formats. One of the formats
we'd like to support is FBX. For developers building from git, this is
manageable, although not ideal, by downloading the fbx sdk and pointing
the build at it.

What can we do in terms of pre-compiled release builds of Qt? Is it
feasible for us to distribute the runtime lib required by the plugin
from the fbx SDK? Or do we need to find some other solution such as
build the plugin for the release packages but require the user to
install the fbx SDK?

I guess this is similar to the database driver plugins.

Cheers,

Sean
--
Dr Sean Harmer | sean.harmer at kdab.com | Managing Director UK