[Development] Notes on "Contributing to Qt" session @ QCS 2016

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Sun Sep 4 11:18:32 CEST 2016

https://wiki.qt.io/QtCS2016_Contributions

* Entry point: how do people find out how to contribute?
** We can more easily indicate to people how to contact developers
** Web Freenode
* Making it easy to contribute, less intimidating
** Instructions too complex!
** Clean up the entry guidelines
* Bug reports
** Bug triaging guidelines / hints / BKMs
* Documentation fixes
** Can we make it easier? There's no need to build, only to run qdoc
* Forums
* "Junior jobs"
** Mark certain JIRA entries with the label
** Examples
*** TBD: Examples repo
*** Skeleton/template directory
*** Modernise codebase (C++11, new styles not from Qt 2 days)
** Documentation
* How to deal with patches that go unnoticed / unreviewed
** Get someone to review, ''anyone''
** Add people who have worked in that file and other similar ones
** If a week goes by, add Maintainer and write "ping"
* Mentoring programs
** GSoC via KDE
* Rewards
** Recognising biggest new contributor in the last year to QCS
** Example: 10th commit gets you a coffee mug