[Development] Using platform-native APIs for terminating QThreads

Alexander Nassian nassian at bitshift-dynamics.de
Mon Sep 5 18:46:04 CEST 2016

> Am 05.09.2016 um 18:38 schrieb Giuseppe D'Angelo <giuseppe.dangelo at kdab.com>:
>
> Il 05/09/2016 16:08, Viktor Engelmann ha scritto:
>> We can lock away OUR guns so the user can't shoot himself in the foot
>> with them, but if he goes out and buys his own gun, there is nothing we
>> can (or should) do about it.
>
> That's not the point. The point is that every time we do an apparently
> innocuous change (maybe thinking "surely we never promised POSIX
> semantics for our threads!") it turns out that instead there are people
> out there that are relying on this behaviour (for whatever reason).

Please don’t get me wrong, but that would imply that if enough people (for whatever reason) expect eg. QSettings to be compatible with WinAPI calls that should be changed. If I’m not wrong QThread doesn’t event expose the native handle in a reliable way, so why should Qt support API abuse by the user?

Beste Grüße / Best regards,
Alexander Nassian