[Development] Notes on "Qt Build Systems" @ QtCon 2016

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Tue Sep 6 02:13:18 CEST 2016

Em segunda-feira, 5 de setembro de 2016, às 12:40:54 PDT, Stephen Kelly via
Development escreveu:
> I think something was lost in transit on this point. I don’t think it would
> be a PITA to write a CMake buildsystem for Qt. I recall the above point was
> in reference to ‘compiling host tools and using them in the build while
> cross compiling’. The way CMake makes that possible currently(!) is
> implemented separately to the core of CMake with the ExternalProject
> module.

That's how it should be. Every single project out there, except for Qt and
possibly GCC itself, builds for one single target. Building something for one
architecture so that it can be run to build another is ungainly and
unexpected.

Whenever you cross-compile Qt, you end up with tools that can only be run on
the host. So Qt's cross-compilation mechanism can't be used to build tools
that can be run on the target platform.