[Development] Notes on "Qt Build Systems" @ QtCon 2016

Ch'Gans chgans at gna.org
Tue Sep 6 06:52:47 CEST 2016

On 6 September 2016 at 16:20, Thiago Macieira <thiago.macieira at intel.com> wrote:
> Em terça-feira, 6 de setembro de 2016, às 13:40:40 PDT, Ch'Gans escreveu:

>> Yes, that basically says it all: 90% of people were certainly unaware
>> or unfamiliar with Qbs! ;)
>
> Which is, in itself, an argument: why learn yet another buildsystem?

Good question, maybe because it's more powerful, it fits better your
needs, it is more fun, it uses new concepts, ...
Or just out of curiosity!

Why learn yet another programming language?

If I followed this reasoning, I would still be writing my programs in
Motorola assembler...
Luckily, I've learned other languages like C, C++, Python, Lua, JS,
Qml, etc, ...

An average software developer knows about, says 10 to 20 programming
languages, maybe even more depending on the definition of "language".
Why should he/she knows just one build system?

Chris