[Development] Notes on "Qt Build Systems" @ QtCon 2016

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Tue Sep 6 15:20:34 CEST 2016

Em terça-feira, 6 de setembro de 2016, às 11:46:12 PDT, Stephen Kelly via
Development escreveu:
> > Whenever you cross-compile Qt, you end up with tools that can only be run
> > on the host. So Qt's cross-compilation mechanism can't be used to build
> > tools that can be run on the target platform.
>
> Yes, I have had problems with that in the past too. However, there's
> nothing preventing building the tools for both the host and the target.
> I think that would be cleaner (This is independent of buildsystem tool -
> I would also be happy if the current qmake build did this).

The biggest offender of this is qmake itself. So if we move away from qmake to
something else, I'd expect that one could just use any host pre-built set of
tools (moc, uic, rcc, etc.) to build your target Qt. Any mismatch of
qobjectsdefs.h and moc is already an #error.

Building the host tools while cross-compiling is a convenience and I think we
can keep it, but I don't think we should simply have different "bin" dirs.