[Development] Notes on "Qt Build Systems" @ QtCon 2016

Cristian Adam cristian.adam at gmail.com
Tue Sep 6 20:30:19 CEST 2016

On 06-Sep-16 19:59, André Pönitz wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 06, 2016 at 05:35:03PM +0200, Cristian Adam wrote:
>> On Tue, Sep 6, 2016 at 5:14 PM, Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler at chello.at> wrote:
>>
>>> I guess somebody could even get CMake to write Qbs files, it would just be
>>> one more generator. :-)
>>>

>> This was done already
>> <https://gitlab.kitware.com/cmake/cmake/commit/f85db2f32358e6de921aba7d1cb8ecb81da934c0>,
>> but it was removed from CMake due to bad feedback from
>> Qt Creator people.
> Is this feedback recorded somewhere?
>
> Andre'

https://git.backbone.ws/cmake/cmake/commit/deec97d8eca4db67be09031757fd11f66c1a037b

        Revert "Qbs: Add new 'extra' generator for qbs project files"

    This reverts commit f85db2f32358e6de921aba7d1cb8ecb81da934c0.

    Discussion by the QtCreator community at

    https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTCREATORBUG-13695

    raises concerns about this particular approach to working with CMake
    projects using QtCreator. Also, the functionality and design of the
    QBS extra generator was never discussed on the CMake mailing list or
    with QtCreator developers. There may be better ways to make the two
    tools work together.

    In order to avoid committing to long-term support of this generator
    prior to such discussion taking place, revert it from CMake for now.
    We may restore this or use an alternative design based on results of
    such discussion.

Maybe "bad feedback" is strong, but it was non constructive and lead to
the removal of the Qbs generator.

Cheers,
Cristian.