[Development] Notes on "Qt Build Systems" @ QtCon 2016

Ch'Gans chgans at gna.org
Wed Sep 7 00:16:51 CEST 2016

On 7 September 2016 at 01:47, Viktor Engelmann <viktor.engelmann at qt.io>
wrote:

> Am 06.09.2016 um 06:52 schrieb Ch'Gans:
>
> On 6 September 2016 at 16:20, Thiago Macieira <thiago.macieira at intel.com> <thiago.macieira at intel.com> wrote:
>
> Which is, in itself, an argument: why learn yet another buildsystem?

> Why learn yet another programming language?

> An average software developer knows about, says 10 to 20 programming
> languages, maybe even more depending on the definition of "language".
> Why should he/she knows just one build system?
>
> Chris
>

> My 2 cents: I want to spend my time on programming = being productive -
> Not waste my time fighting against an incredibly stupid build system...
>
> In my opinion, build systems in general haven't matured the way compilers
> have. Using classes and polymorphism, you can easily explain arbitrarily
> complex situations to compilers. I have yet to see a build system that
> understands more complex situations than "FILE1 IS OLDER THAN FILE2".

This is the Makefile approach, the whole Makefile thing is based on "FILE1
IS OLDER THAN FILE2" (and so is CMake). I think that Qbs is way more than
this. Maybe have a quick look at the documentation to realise how the
approach is completely different. Qbs understand the concept of classes and
polymorphism. In my projects, I define a "base class" (a Product in Qbs
terminology), and I can derive this product into more specific product, of
course derived products inherit from their base behaviours and properties,
and of course i can overwrite properties (inc, full overwrite, append,
prepend, transform, ...).

Qbs is really different.

See eg. http://doc.qt.io/qbs/language-introduction.html

They don't even have the slightest understanding of the commands they
> execute - they just slap some raw strings together (which YOU have to
> provide) and pass them to a shell. Oh, these raw strings were for a
> different OS? Or even just a different version of the same compiler on the
> same OS? well too bad...
>
> It kind of reminds me of this joke:
> http://www.ebaumsworld.com/jokes/blond-hole-diggers/80432143/

Will have to check this one at home, corporate "firewall" tells me: "404:
Access denied - Adult detected" ...

Chris