[Development] Notes on "Managing Qt's branches" session @ QCS 2016

Marc Mutz marc.mutz at kdab.com
Sat Sep 10 09:21:58 CEST 2016

Hi Lars,

On Friday 09 September 2016 15:21:04 Lars Knoll wrote:
> A cherry-picking approach for the LTS branch can make sense, as it
> distributes the burden of bringing the bug fix to both the stable and LTS
> branch over all developers and doesn’t put it on the one person having to
> do the merges.

The obvious question is, then, why is only "the one person" doing merges?
Allow more people to upload merges, and you will get the spreading you desire.

(and the less obvious one: why are changes to the config system done in 5.8,
and not LTS? They don't touch code, after all).

> It will also help limiting changes in the LTS branch to the
> things that should really go there.

Which is in itself a controversial topic (see other thread). To stay on-topic:
I don't see how cherry-picking would help here, as both cherry-picks and
original commits to LTS will be reviewed, possibly by the same people.

In fact, one could also be led to think that the perceived security of "it has
passed CI in dev, so it's safe for LTS" will cause more and less appropriate
commits to be backported to LTS.

Or are you going to impose release branch rules (restricted staging) on 5.6,
eventually?

Thanks,
Marc

Tel: +49-30-521325470