[Development] Qt API review with clazy

Ch'Gans chgans at gna.org
Mon Sep 12 08:38:31 CEST 2016

On 12 September 2016 at 10:34, Sergio Martins <sergio.martins at kdab.com> wrote:
> On Sunday, 11 September 2016 21:43:46 WEST Jérémie Delaitre wrote:
>> Can the same checks be implemented in clang-tidy instead of having yet
>> another tool? clang-tidy now has boost specific checks so maybe they would
>> also accept a Qt specific module in there.
>
> I haven't been able to use clang-tidy on big qmake projects such as Qt, it
> either crashes or stops with "include not found" errors. It also requires an
> intermediate step, where you generate a "compiler command database" file with
> yet another tool [1]

Both CMake (since 2.8.5, see [1]) and Qbs (master branch) can generate
this "compiler command database".
Maybe your tool could be made to work with this DB (via clang-tidy)
and as a clang plugin.
The DB approach has the added advantage that it doesn't require
modifying CXX flags, which can be a problem on projects that have
"buggy" build files.
Having your checks run by clang-tidy would also definitely widen your user base.
clang-tidy have specific rules for LLVM, boost, google, ... Would be
nice to add Qt.

Chris

[1] http://clang.llvm.org/docs/JSONCompilationDatabase.html#supported-systems