[Development] Notes on "Qt Build Systems" @ QtCon 2016

Stephen Kelly stephen.kelly at ableton.com
Wed Sep 14 12:05:15 CEST 2016

On 13/09/16 22:29, Christian Kandeler wrote:
> Stephen Kelly wrote:
>
>>> There is no input file. There is only an input number. The task is from
>>> Bo, who gave it as a simplified example.
>> Oops, I'm wrong here. Bo said to read the number from a file.
>> I don't think that changes anything though regarding dynamic build graph
>> being an advantage.
> Sure?
It is trivial:

  https://github.com/ske-ableton/generated-build-inputs/commit/d4ef3c48

Clearly there is some kind of misunderstanding happening here. In
particular, when I said 'advantage' above, it means 'Qbs can do this
thing, but CMake can not'.

> What about the (lack of) need for two rules to agree in advance about the location of a generated file?

I don't know what you are talking about. I don't know what rules have to
'agree'.

> Also, there could be several layers of indirection, with the second set of generated files also containing meta data etc.

Please post example code for that. Feel free to start by forking my repo.

You quoted and challenged just one small part of my email. Can you
answer the rest of it? I want to understand Qbs and what it can do with
a dynamic build graph which CMake can't do. I made a guess in my email
in the hope that you would confirm that my assumption is correct, or
would correct my assumption to fill my understanding.

Thanks,

--
Ableton AG, Schoenhauser Allee 6-7, 10119 Berlin, Germany
Management Board: Gerhard Behles, Jan Bohl