[Development] Notes on "Qt Build Systems" @ QtCon 2016

Stephen Kelly stephen.kelly at ableton.com
Thu Sep 15 14:39:54 CEST 2016

On 15/09/16 08:57, Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 14, 2016 at 12:05:15PM +0200, Stephen Kelly via Development wrote:
>> I want to understand Qbs and what it can do with a dynamic build graph
>> which CMake can't do.
>>
> there is no such thing

Oh, I'm very surprised by that.

That also means I don't understand the great advantage of Qbs, just when
I thought I was starting to understand it.

My previous guess about Qbs being able to generate unknown files in a
particular location and then determine them by an 'ls' equivalent, moc
them and compile everything is not something Qbs would be able to do.

> so what it all comes down to is that qbs is, as in pretty much every
> other regard, simply more elegant than cmake

Ok, thanks for clarifying!

I'm still interested in a Qbs solution to the code/repo I posted before.
A full and preferably working Qbs solution, instead of a snippet, would
be good for comparison.

Thanks,

--
Ableton AG, Schoenhauser Allee 6-7, 10119 Berlin, Germany
Management Board: Gerhard Behles, Jan Bohl