[Development] HEADS-UP: Branching from '5.7' to '5.7.1' started

Marc Mutz marc.mutz at kdab.com
Mon Sep 26 10:13:02 CEST 2016

Hi,

On Monday 26 September 2016 09:54:23 Jani Heikkinen wrote:
> And as usual there is time to
> finalize ongoing ones in '5.7' branch; final downmerge from '5.7' to
> '5.7.1' will be done after a week.

I'd like to confess that I have no idea what that usual one-week hiatus of the
5.X branch is supposed to achieve.

Apart from forming a funny Git ancestry tree, all it does is shut down 5.X for
commits that for whatever reason should not be in 5.X.Y. We have a way to re-
target change requests between branches, why not use it?

I.e:

- take CI on 5.X down (disable submit button)
- wait for all integrations on 5.X to end (successfully or not)
- then branch 5.X.Y. off the result
- re-enable CI on 5.X
- possibly automatically[1] retarget to 5.X.Y any 5.X change that had an
  attempted integration run before to 5.X.Y.
- deal with retarget requests of the rest as usual

What am I missing?

Thanks,
Marc

[1] automatic here means to have script generate a list of URLs or IDs of such
requests and have that list mailed to Ossi.

Tel: +49-30-521325470
KDAB - Qt, C++ and OpenGL Experts