[Development] QDataStream: blackbox or document all versions?

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Mon Sep 26 19:57:30 CEST 2016

On segunda-feira, 26 de setembro de 2016 10:40:02 PDT Michael Winkelmann
wrote:
> I think what Qt is lacking is a good serialization module like cereal or
> boost serialization.
> With this pattern, QDataStream would be just another archive format,
> like JSON or XML.
> Cereal has portable and unportable binary for endianness.

Having worked with Cereal on another project, I don't think that's a good
approach. Serialising to different protocols and formats is not something that
can be properly abstracted. Not if you want to produce a schema that the other
side expects.

If you're going to serialise something that only you will read, then
QDataStream is already sufficient.