[Development] Using semicolons in JS (QML)

Shawn Rutledge Shawn.Rutledge at qt.io
Fri Sep 30 17:43:57 CEST 2016

On 30 Sep 2016, at 14:19, Kai Koehne <Kai.Koehne at qt.io> wrote:
> To make a proposal: Let’s use semicolons in imperative JS parts of QML in our examples and documentation

Back in Nokia times it was said that we shouldn't use semicolons, because it would speed up the parsing and reduce the size of resources slightly.  (Maybe you think performance isn’t impacted by small things like that, but we are at the same time investing effort into other “optimizations” for which I suspect the runtime performance impact may end up being similarly small.)  So I’ve been following the no-semicolons convention ever since, except occasionally when C++ habits get the better of me.

If you think it’s important, then write a reformatter tool and figure out how to use it as a git hook.  We are wasting time bikeshedding about coding style (do you really have nothing better to do? all bugs in Qt are fixed?), and IMO the same argument applies in any kind of code: if there’s no tool to do the reformatting, maybe it’s not so important.  It’s just subjective and political, and not the kind of argument I’d ever want to start, personally.