[Development] Focusing bug fixes to 5.9 branch and patch releases during H1/17

Tuukka Turunen tuukka.turunen at qt.io
Tue Apr 11 11:32:20 CEST 2017

Hi,

No-one should be pushing to 5.8 any more, but I know that some still do. Closing 5.8 means it is easier to push to the right branch. We have talked this already many times over. Keeping 5.8 open brings little value, but causes load to machines, additional work for people and delay in getting the fixes to users (as it is 5.9 where beta snapshots are created from).

For example, on March 1st Lars wrote: “Let’s conclude this topic now by moving on towards 5.9 as Tuukka proposed. After some thinking I also agree that this is the best course of action from where we are right now. This also implies that bug fixes should now get pushed to the 5.9 branch and we should close the 5.8 branch soon.”

What I am now saying is that it is now time to do what has been discussed. We have Qt 5.9 beta out and there is constant focus in getting regular snapshots from 5.9.

Yours,

	Tuukka

On 11/04/2017, 12.00, "Development on behalf of Marc Mutz" <development-bounces+tuukka.turunen=qt.io at qt-project.org on behalf of marc.mutz at kdab.com> wrote:

    On Tuesday 11 April 2017 10:47:52 Tuukka Turunen wrote:
    > Can you explain why you can not push your Qt Base changes to 5.9 like
    > ~everyone else?

    Because, at least in QtBase, everyone is pushing fixes to 5.8?

    You saw Thiago's stats.

    Thanks,
    Marc

    Tel: +49-30-521325470