[Development] Lack of base classes/interfaces? Q*, Q*F

André Somers andre at familiesomers.nl
Mon Apr 17 08:10:28 CEST 2017

Op 17/04/2017 om 08:02 schreef Jason H:
> Maybe templates are the way to go. But I just had to change some lines because I was using vectors and Qt was using QList. I'd like to eliminate the need/cost for QList::toVector() and QVector::toList(). If there was a base that provided the basics so that I don't have to worry about it's representation in my code, I want the developer (usually me, but anyone using my functions) to be the one that makes that decision.
Well, I think most people here would agree QList was not the best choice
in retrospect.

> You're right I don't know how C++ handles virtuals, but should I care? This is OOP, I want to use OOP. You're telling me that because the language/compiler implements something poorly, that I can't use OOP?
There are many people for who real-world performance means a lot more
that your wish to use "OOP" - for whatever understanding you have of
that concept. Still, I'd like to see your proposal to to consolidate
QRect and QRectF into one hierarchy using that. I don't see that working
out, but perhaps I am missing something. What would the width() method
return, for instance?

André