[Development] Proposal for Qt 5.10 platforms and configurations changes

Jake Petroules Jake.Petroules at qt.io
Thu Apr 27 13:11:51 CEST 2017

> On Apr 27, 2017, at 2:29 AM, Heikki Halmet <heikki.halmet at qt.io> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> Below we have proposal for changes in supported platforms and configurations from Qt 5.9 to 5.10.
> Please comment if the proposal is insufficient or the changes are unacceptable somehow.
>
> Please refer to Qt 5.9 Supported platforms -> http://doc-snapshots.qt.io/qt5-5.9/supported-platforms.html
>
> LIST OF PROPOSAL CHANGES FROM 5.9 TO 5.10:
> RHEL 7.2 -> RHEL 7.3 (Any benefits?)
> OpenSUSE 42.1 -> OpenSUSE 42.2
> Ubuntu 17.04 (Ubuntu 16.04 lts will stay in CI)
> macOS 10.11 xcode 8.2 -> xcode 8.2.1 (or the latest available)

Apple does not ever release updates to older release series, so since 8.3 already exists, this is guaranteed to remain 8.2.1.

> macOS 10.12 xcode 8.2.1 -> xcode 8.3.1 (or the latest available)

8.3.2, please.

> Windows 7 MinGW 5.3.0 -> MinGW 6.3.0
> Embedded Linux (Boot2Qt) Yocto 2.2.1 & gcc 6.2 -> Yocto 2.3 & gcc 6.3
> INTEGRITY GHS 2016.5.4 -> 2017.1.x
> Support for Android 8 (if available on time)
> iOS 11 support (if available on time. Current rumors -> september)
>
> MacOS 10.13 will be released September 2017 hopefully. Feature Freeze for 5.10 is at the beginning of August.
> This means that we can only use Preview release of 10.13 for testing before final official release is out.
> That can cause situation that we don’t have enough time to get 10.13 in before 5.10 release so we can’t give guarantees that 10.13 will be supported in 5.10.

How do you know it won't be called macOS 11? ;)

The purpose of the preview release *IS* to use it for testing so that you can say your product supports the final version (according to Apple). We should provision a VM for the first developer preview and update it throughout the beta cycle until the final release. So this should not be a problem for us with FF in August unless Qt 5.10 releases before macOS Next does.

Just for the record: make sure not to drop CI for macOS 10.10 - that version is still supported in Qt 5.10. Tentative plan for 5.11 would be to drop 10.10 support.